Why Bank Cord Tissue?

Your baby's umbilical cord tissue provides an abundant source of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) - different from cord blood stem cells. Mesenchymal stem cells have the unique ability to rapidly divide and differentiate themselves. These special cells are showing great potential in regenerative medicine for the future treatment of medical conditions affecting cartilage, muscle and nerve cells. 19 Saving both cord blood and cord tissue means:


Who can potentially benefit from your baby's Cord Tissue?

The potential benefit of these stem cells may extend to immediate biological family members, based on haploidentical compatibility.93 The compatibly involves matching a patient's tissue type, specifically their human leukocyte antigen (HLA) tissue type, with a related donor. This is different than what is required for traditional cord blood transplants.


There is a high likelihood that immediate biological family members could benefit from the baby’s cord tissue stem cells, with parents having a 100% likelihood of being compatible, siblings having a 75% likelihood of being compatible, and grandparents having a 25% likelihood of being compatible.16,50 There is an increasing number of studies using MSCs from cord tissue seen in adults, such as Lupus.

What's different about ViaCord's Cord Tissue Service?

In our AABB accredited processing lab we extract cord tissue stem cells prior to storage to best prepare them for potential use. Our process can recover all the stem cell types from the cord tissue – to get your family more cells.40 And we store your cells in a five compartment bag, providing you with more options and greater flexibility if the cells are ever used. Our cord tissue service is different - and it matters.

300x114-8X-More-CT-CELLS-BLUENew Component

Cord tissue’s special ability to modify the immune system.

Cord tissue stem cells have the ability to modify the immune system in the area of damage or inflammation. The cord tissue stem cells may create an environment that enables more optimal repair to the area of damage or inflammation. Inflammation is seen in areas where there is trauma, disease or dysfunction. With these cells, researchers are exploring in wide range of categories, such as:

Progress and potential in regenerative medicine.

A significant amount of regenerative medicine research is underway to better understand mesenchymal stem cells and how they could play a role in future cord tissue therapies – helping treat conditions once thought untreatable such as Parkinson’s disease, Type 1 diabetes and Autism.

New Areas of Potential Use: Cord Tissue and Autism

Phase I Clinical Trial – underway to determine the safety of one, two, and three intravenous infusions of human umbilical cord tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cells (hCT-MSC), administered every two months, in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (Autism).

Researchers are also focusing on a wide range of potential treatment areas, including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, liver fibrosis, lung cancer, and sports injuries. Learn more about Emerging Research»

Cord Tissue’s Growing Potential

The ability of cord tissue stem cells to regenerate and differentiate into a wide range of cell types, may lead to the potential treatment of other conditions in the future. The number of clinical trials using mesenchymal stem cells from cord tissue in human patients has increased to approximately 150 since the first clinical trial in 2007.3

How is cord tissue collected?

Just like ViaCord’s cord blood collection process, collecting cord tissue is a simple process for your medical professional. If you choose to bank both cord blood and cord tissue, once the cord blood is collected, your doctor will place the remaining umbilical cord tissue in a sterile, protective storage cup that is provided in our collection kit. If you choose to collect only the cord tissue, the doctor will drain the cord blood before placing the cord tissue in the provided cup. Your collection kit will then be picked up by a medical courier and transported to ViaCord’s stem cell processing lab and storage facility. There, ViaCord’s lab specialists extract the stem cells from the umbilical cord tissue, prior to storage, to prepare the cells for future medical use. Read more about our process and storage technique here»

** ViaCord's activities for New York State residents are limited to collection of umbilical cord tissue and processing and long-term storage of umbilical cord tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells. ViaCord's possession of a New York State license for such collection, processing, and long-term storage does not indicate approval or endorsement of possible future uses or future suitability of these cells.